Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ready To Run

The first Wednesday of June is "National Running Day," which promotes the importance of running for a myriad of reasons, and declares it "a coast-to-coast celebration of a sport and activity that’s simple, inexpensive, and fun."

On the Buckeye Bucket List, "Running a 5K" is listed. I am currently preparing to run a 5K and I am bound and determined to scratch it off of my list.

However...one thing stands in my way: I have a love/hate relationship with running.

I love it because it can give a sense of accomplishment, provide great exercise that is essential for my health and wellbeing, and get me outdoors to experience the fresh air and open road (unless of course I do it on a treadmill or indoor track of course).

I hate it because of how much it can take to get me to this point. I know the challenge of running is what makes it more fun, but I am being honest in my assessment that I have never been the biggest fan of long distance running.

I was always very fast. In fact, I have a county record in track in the 4x400 meter relay from 1999 that I hold still to this day. I also lettered in track, namely due to my “success” in hurdles. Furthermore, I was a bit of a soccer stud from age 6 in what was called "Little Kickers" all the way to college intramurals. And, let me tell you, soccer requires a LOT more running than any other sport (yes, even more than American “football”). But all of those forms of running were short distance or part of a sporting event that added an extra boost of adrenaline.

Nowadays, it takes me quite a bit to get myself outside and run just for the sake of running. But I do it. And once I do, it feels fantastic and I am so happy with my decision to go out and be active. That, in turn spurs more motivation for me to go out and run more often.

I feel that sharing with you this apprehension when it comes to running can help many readers relate to me. I am human, after all. I love adventure and an active lifestyle, but like any other human being, I have those certain things that stare me down and challenge me.

In this case, I accept the challenge. And I encourage you to do the same! Running burns more calories than virtually any other exercise or activity! You use your entire body from your feet and legs to your torso and brain!

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am no expert in running, so keep that in mind when reading what I call A Beginner's Tips for Beginner Runners. I can only hope that sharing my story can motivate anyone who doesn't get excited about running to START to get excited about running. We just don't know what we're missing until we do it!

With these tips and motivation, we will be in great shape to Run a 5K and scratch it off of our Buckeye Bucket List.

Please leave me comments with more running tips, and suggestions on 5Ks throughout the state that we can participate in!

No comments:

Post a Comment