Photo by OHventures
The summer months are the ideal time to hop in the car, hit the road, and head on an OHventure to explore the nooks and crannies of this wonderful state! Here are some tips to consider before your Summer Road Trip!
1. Bring the Essentials: While much of this probably goes without being said, I can't in good faith send you on the roads without a handy dandy list of essential items to have with you in the car on your drive through the Buckeye state! Some of the items are truly essentials for emergencies, such as an empty gas can, first aid kit, jumper cables, and a life hammer; while many others are simply to make your trip more enjoyable, such as mixed CDs, a travel journal, frisbees, blanket and Mad Libs. Click the link above to learn more about these essentials!!
2. Check the Roads: If you plan on embarking on a great OHventure, you will likely find yourself using the great highway system Ohio boasts. Thankfully, getting around the state is rather easy, thanks to the fact that Ohio has the 4th largest interstate system with 6,700 lane miles! The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) provides many useful tools for travelers that I highly suggest you utilize when taking an OHventure. Click the link to read more about the Top 3 ODOT Tools!
3. Plan Your Day!: The Buckeye Bucket List has a section devoted to Day Trips! Depending on your proximity to your destination choice, the activities you would like to accomplish, and the size of the city, you can do everything in just one day! In most cases, however, a weekend or week-long trip would make more sense. OHventures has started providing you with some ideas in our Day Trip series, including cities like Akron, Youngstown and Toledo. But always check the link above for more day (and weekend) trips!
4. Travel Yonder!: Of course our site is to show off the Buckeye state. However - FUN FACT - one of the best things about the Buckeye state is that it is within a day's drive of 60 percent of the U.S. population. That means there are TONS of other great states and destinations you can take a cheap, quick, and exciting road trip to. I have personally taken weekend trips to Nashville, Chicago, Louisville, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Washington DC, to name a few! I even drove to West Virginia to go white water rafting and camping, which was one of the best trips of my life! The beauty of it is, you will undoubtedly drive through a great portion of Ohio to get to these other states, so you can do a lot of sightseeing along the way, and even make pitstops! Check out Ohio's Scenic Byways Program if you are looking for great sights off the beaten path!
5. Remember The Rules of the Road: It sounds cliche, but remember: SAFETY FIRST. If you are the driver on the road trip, do not let the excitement of the trip cause you to not pay attention! You must remember to be cautious and follow all traffic rules, especially when having friends in the car, with mixed CDs, games, or maps & GPS systems to distract yo. Don't text, yield in construction zones, and take your time! Perhaps take turns driving so that all passengers have the chance to look at the scenery and enjoy the ride.
Safe & Fun Travels to All!!