Thursday, September 8, 2011

Warrior Dash Sneak Peak



Warrior Dash is literally around the corner!

I have been amped up for this event for weeks and now it's finally here. Thousands of other Buckeye warriors will be gathering together in Carrollton all throughout the day this Saturday with one goal in mind: conquer the ultimate obstacle course challenge! There will be "mud, sweat, and beer" and I couldn't be more excited.

I have a friend whose job is to set up the Warrior Dash, and she posted the above pictures today of the tire obstacle and what looks like the water we have to trudge through. These pictures are showing us a small glimpse of what we can expect at Ohio's course. Videos are posted all over that show Warrior Dash races from past events, but every course is different in its own way.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is nearly impossible to prepare yourself completely for this chaotic challenge, but I have been doing my best. I have been running a great deal, up hills and long distances. I have improved greatly in just a couple of months and managed to run a 5K in just over 26 minutes! It was the help of my post on running tips that got me to where I am now.

Along the way, I have spoken to more people who have given me tips for the Warrior Dash. Some of them are: wear kneepads and/or long socks, fuel up with foods like bananas and granola bars, prepare yourself for running up lots of hills, and most importantly HAVE FUN!



Some people run the Warrior Dash just for fun, while others do it to truly push themselves to the limit. I personally am going to put my all into this race and get the best personal time I can. The race falls on my late brother's birthday, and so I am doing it with him in mind. I feel like my brother will be with me in spirit running with me. It is a symbolic race for me, to try something completely out of my element and to triumph over the elements. My brother would have turned 29 on this day if he were alive now. My contiunal quest to fulfill my thirst for adventure and my zest for life is to show that I do not take life for granted, and to, in a way, live it up and do things in honor of my brother, since his life was taken away at such a young age (22).

I am extremely excited to be doing this on his birthday and have the time of my life with some great friends and fellow warriors! Next time you hear from me, I will have earned my viking horns and I will be able to tell you just what it's like to run the Warrior Dash so that perhaps you too can run a future race!

No comments:

Post a Comment