Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Words To Run By Race Report!

Photos Courtesy of Sara of Words To Run By


Over the past couple of years blogging for OHventures, I have had the privilege of meeting a number of amazing individuals throughout the state who share the passion of an active lifestyle and adventure in Ohio. The award for the most inspiring person I have met by far goes to Sara of the popular Fitfluential blog, Words To Run By. I met her at the Boston Strong Columbus event in April, which she helped host. We got together for coffee and I had the chance to learn more about her and her passion for life. 

Sara suffered from a pulmonary embolism (blood clot of the lung) last year and also suffered the loss of her mother. She uses these life experiences to educate others through The Blood Clot Recovery Network and to encourage others on Words To Run By to live life to its fullest, showing that no obstacle is too big to overcome. She's an amazing writer and all around awesome girl.

Read about Sara's return to the running scene in her race recap of the Commit To Be Fit Multi-Sport Festival which took place Sunday, July 28 in Columbus. This was her first official race she had done in since she had her pulmonary emblolism in just over a year. Check it out below and prepared to be inspired by her journey!

I’ve had a lot of firsts when it comes to running – and a lot of firsts I would have never experienced without it in the first place. There as my first 5K, my first half marathon, my mom’s first 5K, my sister’s first half marathon, my first marathon and my first attempt at the Goofy Challenge in Walt Disney World. For all of these first have come many rewards – I gained self-confidence, patience, a new appreciation for myself, health and happiness. I also gained friendships that, while based in running, have pulled me through some of the worst times in the last two years of my life. I’ve learned a lot about myself and others – both positives and negatives.

Through running, I learned that I am stronger than I ever thought I was and even so, it was not until I was gravely injured by a blood clot in my lung last summer that I realized what true strength was. While I survived against the odds – partially in thanks to running and the shape my cardiovascular system was in – the thing that helped save me was also the think I could no longer do no matter how much I wanted to. I was ready to give up. For all running had given me, it hurt too bad to know things would never be as they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment