Sunday, March 30, 2014

Guest Post: Akron Blondes Vs. Brunettes


Katie Stambaugh is a local Ohio blogger who writes on "Life Is Katetastic" about everything from crafting to cooking to running 31 races in a single year (believe it or not - she puts our 20 races in a year to shame!). Recently, Katie shared with us a post about her involvement in Akron's Blondes Vs. Brunettes Powder Puff Flag Football Competition to benefit the Alzheimer's Association of Akron, Canton & Youngstown! She is a returning champion from 2013's event, and she will serve as a coach this upcoming May. Read about the cause below, and consider making a domation to her team!

Last year I was fortunate enough to be a part of a really cool event that involved football, the color purple, and charity. It was the very first year Akron was able to hold such an event , and I was lucky enough to be a part of it.

What in the world am I talking about?????

Blondes Vs Brunettes Powder Puff Football, that’s what!!!!

This super fun event was created with one purpose in mind: help raise awareness for Alzheimer’s, a disease that I, unfortunately, know way too much about first hand. As most of my readers know, my grandmother Bubu has been fighting a losing battle with this disease for over a decade, and while it has been crippling to her, it has also been very crippling to our family. 

Each one of us has been forced to deal with this disease in our own way, yet we all have been able to come together to volunteer and participate in the events that the Association has to help raise funding toward research and to help find a cure to such a nasty, nasty disease. Each year we have one of the largest teams at the Boardman area Memory Walk, an event that raises thousands and thousands of dollars every single year. It is an honor to be a part of such a cool event and to walk with Bubu’s Bunch. We also are active participants in the Forget Me Not Gala each spring…an event where my mother was honored as the Inspiration Award Winner a few years back. Still so proud of you, Mom!

When I was approached last year about participating in the newly created Blondes Vs Brunettes football game, I didn’t think twice about signing up. You’re telling me I get to break out my competitive side AND raise money for a charity that means so much to me???? Yes, please! The game was an absolute blast….not only did the Brunettes win, but the Association raised over $10,000! Yeah, buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment