Thursday, April 24, 2014

Funny Bunny Run Recap

Photos by OHventures

It's not often that I wait until the DAY OF a race to decide to participate! Usually, I plan out all of my races months in advance. But on April 12, 2014, I made an exception. April 12 happens to be my birthday, and this year I was turning the big 2-9. Even though I am getting older, I am in the best shape I have been in, and I continue to improve my running. Additionally, April 12, 2014 is the 3rd anniversary of OHventures, so there needed to be some celebrating! 

This, coupled with the fact that it was LITERALLY the nicest weather so far this entire year made it a no-brainer to travel down to Sippo Lake in Canton in Stark County for the Funny Bunny Run! The Funny Bunny Run was a 4-mile race whose course included parts of the beautiful Stark Parks trails and the neighborhoods that surround Sippo Lake.


My friend Travis joined me and approximately 500 other runners on the gorgeous blue-skied Saturday morning. The Easter Bunny graced us with his presence, as well as a female bunny whom I assume to be his girlfriend/wife/main squeeze? I couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of these people dressed in bunny costumes, and at all of the folks getting into the Spring spirit with bunny ears and pastel shirts as part of their running attire. Even the Army reps who were passing out free water bottles at the finish line were wearing rabbit ears!

Fun themed races like this are a ton of fun, and they help make races like this more attractive to children and families by giving the event a more light-hearted feel! Despite this, I still was here to compete! Bunny costumes or not, I was determined to take the race itself seriously, as I was considering this to be a good practice run for my upcoming Pro Football Hall of Fame Half Marathon!


As mentioned, the course circled the stunning Sippo Lake, which looked so great under the morning sun. Parts of the route were a bit muddy due to melted snow, but overall it wasn't so bad! The course had a few hills I was not too fond of, but I pushed through and managed to finish with a time of 32:23! This placed me 20th overall out of 501 runners! Everyone received a finisher's medal in the shape of an Easter egg, and a crazy colored t-shirt for participating. Not gonna lie, I can't see myself wearing this shirt too often, as the orange/green/purple combo is not quite my style, but you never know!


The Funny Bunny Run was a great birthday gift for both me and this blog. Thank you to all of my readers for their continued support over the past 3 years. I hope to bring you more exciting Ohio fun for many years to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment