Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pymatuning State Park

Photos by OHventures

Pymatuning State Park
6100 Pymatuning Lake Road
Andover, Ohio 44003
440-293-6030

Pymatuning State Park (pronounced pie-ma-TOON-ing for those who are wondering) has a special place in my heart, as I used to visit this park with my friends as a teenager. The park is located in Ashtabula County on the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania. In fact, the lake in which the park is named for has the state line drawn almost directly down its center. Of course, this being OHIO adventures, we will be focusing on the OHIO side of the park!

Me and my buds from back in the day used to drive straight up Route 7 from my hometown in Trumbull County so we could spend long summer days doing everything from hiking to swimming to skimboarding the shoreline of Pymatuning Lake. We also would find ourselves camping in my buddy Paul's family's RV at one of the nearby campgrounds in the village of Andover.



Because Pymatuning State Park predominately consists of the lake itself on the Ohio side, and because the park was actually a swamp once upon a time, the official hiking trails are not very elaborate. There are two small trails you can take a stab at - Beaver Dam Trail and Whispering Pines Trail.

You can also find areas designated for fishing while at Pymatuning. But there area also propagation areas where fishing is prohibited. A boat ramp is located on shore so you can take your watercraft for a ride. A playground, picnic area, and nature center round out the rest of the amenities at your fingertips.
The Clark Family Reunion!

Recently, I revisited Pymatuning for the first time since I was 19 years old (that is a whole decade) for a mini family reunion! While I didn't go skimboarding (is that even a thing anymore?!) we did enjoy grilling out and picnicking on site. It was extremely nice to get back to one of my favorite parks from my pasttime to relax and enjoy the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment