Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Winans Chocolates + Coffees Review

 Photos by OHventures

Two things that most everyone can agree on is delicious chocolate and quality coffee.

Winans Chocolates + Coffees has got you covered - from all corners of the state - and even the entire country!

In addition to the headquarters in PiquaOhio locations of Winans Chocolates + Coffees include: Piqua, Downtown Troy, Troy Bookstore, Troy Upper Valley Hospital, Vandalia, Kettering, Dayton Mall, German Village (Columbus), Dublin, The Greene, Maineville. Another location can be found in Coralville, Iowa.

You can visit any of these locations for a large selection of chocolates, coffees, nuts, trail mix, caramels, and more!  

Or, if you can't make it down to southwest or central Ohio, then the good news is Winans has a large online catalog full of fantastic products that can be sent to your doorstep, or delivered to a loved one as a great gift.

I had the pleasure of receiving some Winans products to review, and it wasn't long until all of my chocolate and treats were gobbled up, and all of my coffee was gulped up! 

The items I had were sent to me specially by Winans, in a special gift box called "The Health Nut" (pictured above). The box consisted of a half pound of Winans blend coffee beans, 1 each of the Winans Mesocacao bars, 1 dark chocolate "healthy" bar, and a bag of deluxe mixed nuts.



Let's start with the coffee. You have the choice of ordering whole or ground coffee beans (always go with whole beans if you have a coffee grinder at home), different size bags (whole or half pound), and different blends (espresso, MoJoe blend, Mokka Java, Seattle Blend, or Winans Blend). There is also the option of getting decaf, but where's the fun in that?!

For those adventurous type, there's a TON of flavored coffees to try: blueberry crumb cake, chocolate, caramel cream, strawberry shortcake, snikkerdoodle, and more!

I chose the Winans Blend, because it was my first taste of any Winans coffee, and I feel that I just had to start with the signature blend that they put their name on! When my package arrived in the mail, I tore open the box, ground the beans, and had a cup of coffee - at nighttime! I just couldn't wait for the morning to taste it, it smelled and looked so good (if you are a coffee fanatic like I am, you definitely have fallen victim to "night coffee" before)!

The Winans Blend coffee is a blend of Columbia, Costa Rica, Kenya, and Sumatra beans. It's dark, aromatic, and strong - a perfect coffee for a black coffee drinker like myself. While I can't speak directly about any of the other varieties,I can tell you that if the taste and quality is anything like Winans Blend, then you won't be disappointed (I will be ordering some soon to see for myself)!


Next is the chocolate. My box came with a selection of Mesocacao bars: extremely dark, gourmet bars that actually have great health benefits! You can read more about these health benefits and the origins of the Mesocacao bars on the Winans Blog! The bars I tried were: 
  • 70% Honduran (the percentage denotes just how much chocolate is in the bar, and the country denotes where the cacao bean came from)
  • 70% Honduran with organic Honduran coffee beans (this pairs great with the coffee and has a nice crunch to it)
  • 80% Matagalpa, Nicaragua w/ Nicaraguan nibs (the tiny bits found inside the cacao beans - pictured above) 
  • 44% milk chocolate with almonds (milk chocolate is not as healthy as dark chocolate, but the almonds are a superfood - pictured above).
I also got the dark chocolate healthy bar (pictured above), which was my absolute favorite! It was rich chocolate jam packed with healthy additions: almonds, tart cherries, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds! It had such a great balance of tart and sweet, and soft and crunchy! I definitely recommend. 

Trust me when I say, this selection of chocolates is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Winan''s vast offerings! So, browse the site, pop in one of the stores, or perhaps take a chocolate factory tour! If you're really ambitious, you can join me for the Winans To Winans Half Marathon on September 11, 2016!

And while you're at it, get social with Winans by following them on Twitter, adding them on Instagram, and liking them on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment