Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lake Milton State Park

Photos by OHventures

Lake Milton State Park
16801 Mahoning Avenue
Lake Milton, OH 44429
(330) 654-4989

I've driven both eastbound and westbound on I-76 countless times over the past 15 years, always gazing at the beautiful crystal clear waters of Lake Milton, on the edge of Mahoning and Portage Counties. There is rarely a time I drive by in the spring or summer that the lake is not peppered with dozens - if not, hundreds - of outdoor enthusiasts


Most of the people I see at Lake Milton State Park are actually ON the water. The lake (truly, a reservoir, impounded by a dam in 1913), is the clear centerpiece of the park, sizing up at 1,685 acres. Unlimited horsepower is permitted on the lake, so it is not uncommon to see motorboats whizzing by, toting water skiers, wake boarders, and the like. 

Fishing is also a favorite at Lake Milton, with a large variety of fish found in the waters: walleye, largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, channel catfish, smallmouth bass, brown bullhead, yellow perch, white bass and muskellung.


Since I decided to stop on a whim one blazing hot August day without a boat or fishing gear, I opted to enjoy the shores of Lake Milton. With my dog in tote (always a plus when a park is dog friendly), we walked along the edge of the water, interacting with other dogs, and soaking in the scenery (I particularly like the small black and white lighthouse found at one of the picnic areas). There is a designated swimming area (where dogs are NOT allowed), but alas I didn't have a swimsuit. The best I could do is dip my feet in (next time, I will come prepared).

There are plenty of picnic tables, pavilions, and a gazebo that can be used for parties or just for sitting and relaxing (learn about making shelter reservations here).


There's a 1.25 mile easy nature trail located by the park office (at the address listed above). Additionally, you can hunt in designated areas, or enjoy the basketball and volleyball courts. In the winter, ice fishing, snow mobiling, and cross country skiing are popular. 

Looks like a new trip to Lake Milton State Park will certainly be in my future very soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment