Monday, February 17, 2014

Cupid's Undie Run Recap

Photos by OHventures

If there is one thing I learned this Valentine's Day, it's that there should be an undie run every weekend.

I threw out my inhibitions and set aside my clothing in order to participate in Cupid's Undie Run on Saturday, February 15. Hundreds of fellow scantily clad runners joined me in the frigid streets of Cleveland, while thousands and thousands of others joined in 30 other cities across the globe: from Atlanta to Washington, and everywhere in between (including two cities in Australia)!

I had the time of my life bringing the hilarity to charity, individually raising $150 to benefit the Children's Tumor Foundation, which is seeking a cure for neurofibromatosis (a genetic disease that causes tumors and chronic pain). This was a part of the greater total of nearly $250,000 raised by Clevelanders, and just under $2.7 million raised worldwide!

Donning my "bedroom best," which consisted solely of the red "I'm With Cupid" boxer briefs I received in my swag bag, I made my way to the neighborhood of Tremont with my pal Nadine (she was not running, but merely there for some much needed moral support)!

This event was certainly not for the timid or modest, so luckily I had no problem dropping trou and joining the rest of the ridiculously dressed personalities in the heated party tent (located just outside of the South Side bar). In fact, wearing clothes into this tent would make me feel more awkward than wearing just my under guchies!

For those who were a bit more reluctant to practically get naked (even though they should have known what they were signing up for), there was thankfully plenty of liquid courage available inside the tent - loads of Mich Ultra, Shock Top, and Valentine-themed cocktails! In fact, you could not be under 21 years of age to participate in the Cupid's Undie Run - that's how hardcore this party was!


Nadine was definitely a bit shellshocked by the spectacle of exhibitionists drinking, dancing, celebrating, and gearing up to run (see her priceless reaction in the photo above). I, on the other hand, was having a BLAST, making new friends and running into old friends from the dorm days of college (which, ironically, this reminded me of).



Seeing all of the crazy costumes - cupid wings, suspenders, hats, boas, capes, masks, accessories, body paint, and - ahem - creative undergarments, made me feel UNDERdressed (if that is possible!). and had the wheels turning in my head to come up with a better get-up for next year. I mean, there was even a dude wearing an American flag mankini, for cryin' out loud!


As you can tell, the party itself was the main event. The "run" portion of the Cupid's Undie Run was just a small interruption to the excitement taking place inside the tent. Had it been just a smidge warmer, that might not have been the case. But, then again, the "freezin' for a reason" aspect of the event was part of the challenge! While the skies were a bright blue, it was still extremely cold outside (maybe 15 degrees and very windy).


Because of this, the run organizers opted to cut the course seemingly in half. The funny part about this is that we had no idea that the course would be significantly shorter than the 1-mile run we were expecting until we found ourselves at the finish line! If I had to guess, I would say that the course was roughly 0.5 miles - at MOST! It was a pleasant surprise, to say the least! The cold was pretty unbearable, even for those in more than just their undies.

Thus, the party continued! And I have to say, this was one of the most fun parties I have been to in a LONG time! Maybe it was the fact that we have all been couped up indoors for so long, maybe it was the freezing weather that has made us all so slaphappy, or maybe it's the joy of knowing we have raised so much money. Whatever the reason, I know for certain I will be doing the Cupid's Undie Run again next year - and you should too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment